Code of Welfare: Dairy Cattle
Anyone who owns or is in charge of dairy cattle must be aware of the following codes of welfare and comply with the minimum standards in the codes and the general provisions of the Animal Welfare Act 1999.
Calves: Requirements for pre-transport preparation and selection are in A Guide to Welfare of Calves During Transport (435 KB) and the DairyNZ Animal Welfare Information Pack and are also covered in the code of welfare for transport.
- Code of Welfare: Dairy Cattle
- Code of Welfare: Dairy Cattle Amendment Report 2014 (40 KB)
- Code of Welfare: Dairy Cattle Report (151 KB)
- Code of Welfare (Commercial Slaughter) 2010 (320 KB)
- Code of Welfare (Commercial Slaughter) 2010 - Report (163 KB)
- Animal Welfare (Painful Husbandry Procedures) Code of Welfare 2005 (4042 KB)
- Animal Welfare (Painful Husbandry Procedures) Code of Welfare 2005 report (998 KB)
Here’s a list of other publications and guidelines:
- Emergency Slaughter of Farm Animals
- Sale yards not a dumping place - Fact Sheet 2 (185 KB)
- A guide to the welfare of calves during transport (435 KB)
- Disbudding and dehorning hurts – get it right! (179 KB)
Page last updated: 15 December 2014