Several operational protocols have been developed in association with MAF Biosecurity New Zealand's didymo research and surveillance programmes for use by partners in the Didymo Long Term Management Programme. We recommend the use of these sampling and analysis protocols by organisations and laboratories undertaking didymo surveillance work to ensure quality assurance.
For general information on the surveillance programme, please contact MAFBNZ via: BioResponse@asurequality.com.
Sample Collection Protocols
- Sample collection for microscopic analysis: Protocol for the collection of samples for delimiting surveys for Didymosphenia geminata for microscopic analysis (523 KB) (28 pages)
- Sample collection for DNA analysis: Field guide for didymo DNA sample collection (824 KB) (8 pages)
- Sample collection for simultaneous microscopic and DNA analysis (split sampling): Protocol for the collection of samples for delimiting surveys for Didymosphenia geminata for microscopic and DNA analysis (537 KB) (32 pages)
Sample Analysis Protocols
- Microscopic Analysis Protocol: Protocol for microscopic analysis of samples for the detection of Didymosphenia geminata (1997 KB) (20 pages)
- Didymo DNA Analysis procedures: Refer to the DNA Detection Phase 2 and 3 Report: A sensitive genetic-based detection capability for Didymosphenia geminata (Lyngbye) M. Schmidt: Phases Two and Three (2968 KB) (96 pages)