Hides & skins
Hides and skins may need to meet strict biosecurity requirements to enter New Zealand – requirements can vary for each item. MPI sets standards for animal products coming to New Zealand to prevent unwanted diseases, pests, and animals from entering the country.
Types of hides and skins for import
Certain types of hides and skins are eligible for importation into New Zealand:
- fully tanned hides and skins
- processed hides and skins
- salted or dried hides and skins
- casualty skins – like those from lambs that may have died from natural causes
- macropod (kangaroo and wallaby) hides and skins from Australia only.
Who to contact
If you have questions about importing hides and skins, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We're making improvements to our feedback form and it's temporarily unavailable.
For urgent problems, call 0800 00 83 33 (NZ only)