Ornamental animal products
Ornamental animal products need to meet strict biosecurity requirements to enter New Zealand. The requirements for different items can vary. MPI sets import health standards for animal products, to prevent unwanted diseases, pests, and animals coming to New Zealand.
Types of ornamental animal products
Items that are eligible for import but may need to be inspected and/or treated on arrival include:
- blown eggs – professionally prepared or sealed in display cases
- dead and dry coral
- fly-tying material containing animal skin or hair
- game trophy hides and skins, including dried and salted mammalian trophies
- unmounted game trophies
- any items manufactured from horn, bone, beak, tusk, and tooth
- marine ornaments such as shells
- rawhide items and handicrafts such as drums, hunting shields, and other cultural items used for performance or decoration
- game trophies, animals, small birds, and animal skins prepared and finished by a professional taxidermist.
Who to contact
If you have questions about importing ornamental animal products, email firstname.lastname@example.org.