Soil, rock, gravel, sand, clay, and water
If you want to import soil, rock, gravel, sand, clay or water, you need to meet strict biosecurity requirements to prevent the entry of unwanted organisms into New Zealand. MPI helps importers meet these requirements.
IMPORTANT DATES FOR PERMITS AND ENQUIRIES
Plant product import permit applications submitted after 13 November 2019 will not be processed before Christmas. The Plant Imports office will be closed from 24 December 2019 to 3 January 2020. We will continue processing applications from 6 January 2020.
The Plant Imports office will be closed from 24 December 2019 to 3 January 2020. We will respond to emails from 6 January 2020.
When importing soil, rock, gravel, sand, clay, and water into New Zealand, you're responsible for:
- meeting the import health standard (IHS) for your products
- arranging appropriate treatment for your products
- ensuring products are properly packaged to prevent contamination
- reporting to MPI if your products show signs of disease or pests
- keeping the right records.
Fees and charges may apply.
Who to contact
If you have questions about importing soil, rock, gravel, sand, clay, and water, email email@example.com.