Import health standards (IHS)
Find all import health standards and related information. An import health standard (IHS) is a document issued under section 24A of the Biosecurity Act 1993. An IHS states the requirements that must be met before risk goods can be imported into New Zealand.
On this page:
- Some import health standards are changing
- Importer alerts
- Revoked import health standards
- IHS guidance documents
- Find your IHS
Some import health standards are changing
26 November 2019: Second consultation open on the new fruit and vegetables IHS format
Between 30 July and 19 August 2019, the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) consulted on new format import health standards (commodity IHSs) for fresh fruits and vegetables for human consumption. MPI has reviewed the submissions from this consultation and met with submitters on 4 September 2019 to discuss the key points raised in their submissions. As a result of this discussion, MPI has revised the wording in the draft commodity IHSs.
Between 26 November 2019 and 17 January 2020, MPI is consulting on the revised wording in the draft commodity IHSs.
If you have questions about the consultation, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Avian influenza – 25 July 2018 – Various countries. Find out more
Lumpy skin disease – 21 Aug 2015 - Greece (Evros, Xanthi, and Kavala). Find out more
During the transition to a new import health standard (IHS), the standards being revoked will be listed as related documents of the new IHS. You can search for any IHS using its short code, but if it's an IHS about to be revoked it will appear as a related document under the new IHS. Click on the '+' sign to see related documents (all document boxes expand to show more information).
If you can't find the IHS for your commodity, email email@example.com
MPI has produced guidance documents to help you meet the requirements of import health standards. While you do not have to comply with the guidance, MPI considers the guidance best practice. Where available, these are listed with the related standard. Each document box expands to reveal extra information, including links to related documents like guidance. Choose the '+' sign to expand a box.
Most IHSs also refer to the Treatment Standard.
Download the Treatment Standard (MPI-ABTRT) [PDF, 1.4 MB]
The import health standards are listed alphabetically by commodity. Use the filter below to help your search.
Note, each document box expands to reveal extra information, including links to related documents like guidance. Choose the '+' sign (to the right of the document title) to expand a box.
keywords: 152-07-01i, Clearance, Airport, flight, quarantine, containers, air, freight
keywords: camaniic.gen, camelids, lamoids, ruminants
- Scoured and dehaired cashmere from China - Import Health Standard [PDF, 15 KB]
- Scoured New Zealand/Australian origin animal fibre from People's Republic of China - Import Health Standard [PDF, 22 KB]
- Specified animal products and biologicals from all countries - Import Health Standard [PDF, 225 KB]
- Animal fibres from all countries - Import Health Standard Guidance Document [PDF, 330 KB]
- Animal Fibre from the European Union - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 68 KB]
keywords: anifibre.all, alpaca, apparel, artifacts, boas, brushtail, camel, camelid, cashmere, cultural items, decorations, doona, dream catchers, dreamcatchers, duvets, feathers, fibers, fibres, fishing flies, fur, goat, handicrafts, hair, hats, head dresses, kangaroo, lamb, lambswool, macropod, mats, mohair, pelts, pillows, quilts, rabbit, sheep, shuttle cocks, skins, sleeping bags, sleeping-bags, sliver, tops, wallaby, wool, woolpack, yak, fibunpic.all, fibsucic.all, fibscoic.all, fibcmwic.prc, fibtopic.ger, fibwooic.prc, fibfleic.all, hidmacic.aus, fibposic.aus, fibrabic.all, fibsraic.all, fibminic.uk, feacfoic.all, fibwpkic.all, fibnzoic.all, ineproic.all
- Animal products that have undergone third country processing - Import Health Standard Guidance Document [PDF, 645 KB]
- Fiji sample certificate for canned beef of Australia or New Zealand origin [PDF, 613 KB]
- Fresh, chilled and frozen salmonid products processed in Thailand - Health Certificate [PDF, 181 KB]
- Approved Source Country Salmonid Products Processed in the Philippines - Health Certificate [PDF, 561 KB]
- Canned New Zealand beef for human consumption processed in Thailand - Health Certificate [PDF, 75 KB]
- Honey and other apiculture products intended for human consumption from Canada - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 59 KB]
- Products for human consumption containing poultry meat of New Zealand origin - Zoosanitary certificate [PDF, 127 KB]
keywords: antaquic.all, aquatic animals, live, Pagothenia borchgrevinki,Trematomus bernacchii, hansoni, centronotus, nicolai, newnsi, Dissostichus mawsoni, Gymnodraco acuticeps, Chionodraco hamatus, Cryodraco antarcticus
keywords: avocado-au, avocados, avocadoes
keywords: avocado-to, avocados, avocadoes
keywords: ballastwater, vessel, boat, ship, marine
keywords: bamboo-rattan, wood products, withies, forestry, twig, tree
keywords: bark, chips, Cork, Pine, Eucalyptus, tree
keywords: meabdsic.aus, bovine, ovine, caprine, cervine
keywords: bioprodic.all, samples, animal products
- Bovine Embryos from Australia - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 358 KB]
- Bovine Embryos from the European Union - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 39 KB]
- Bovine Embryos from Canada - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 365 KB]
- Bovine Embryos from USA - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 121 KB]
- Bovine Embryos from Switzerland - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 83 KB]
- Bovine Semen and Embryos from Approved Countries - Import Health Standard Guidance Document [PDF, 1104 KB]
keywords: bovemid.gen, bull, germplasm, ruminants, buffalo, cow, in vivo