Import health standards (IHS)
Find all import health standards and related information. An import health standard (IHS) is a document issued under section 24A of the Biosecurity Act 1993. An IHS states the requirements that must be met before risk goods can be imported into New Zealand.
On this page:
- Some import health standards are changing
- Importer alerts
- Revoked import health standards
- IHS guidance documents
- Find your IHS
Some Import health standards are changing
27 May 2019 update
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) has completed a review of all fresh fruit and vegetable import health standards. This includes Import Health Standard (IHS) 152.02: Importation and Clearance of Fresh Fruit and Vegetables for Human Consumption. As part of the review, MPI has transferred all existing country:commodity IHSs to new format commodity standards. MPI has converted all fresh fruit and vegetable schedules in IHS 152.02 and individual 'country:commodity' standards to the new format.
In early June, MPI will be undertaking a 10-day public engagement with all interested parties. A page on this website will list the 121 new format commodity standards, the draft guidance document, and a risk management proposal which outlines the purpose and scope of the engagement will be available on this website. MPI encourages anyone interested in importing fresh fruit and vegetables to:
- consider the readability of the new IHS format and the guidance document
- submit feedback.
The exact dates for the engagement (which will be held for 10 working days) will be noted on the web page when published. If you would like to receive a notification on the day this page is published, you can sign up to MPI’s subscription service. Select the topic 'Email update topics' and choose 'Plant imports' from the list.
After the engagement
At the end of the engagement period, MPI will review all submissions received. If no major amendments to the new IHS format are required as a result of feedback, MPI will formally issue the 121 commodity IHSs as “final” in July. At the same time, MPI will revoke Import Health Standard 152.02: Importation and Clearance of Fresh Fruit and Vegetables for Human Consumption and 99 individual ‘country:commodity’ Import Health Standards.
Avian influenza – 25 July 2018 – Various countries. Find out more
Lumpy skin disease – 21 Aug 2015 - Greece (Evros, Xanthi, and Kavala). Find out more
During the transition to a new import health standard (IHS), the standards being revoked will be listed as related documents of the new IHS. You can search for any IHS using its short code, but if it's an IHS about to be revoked it will appear as a related document under the new IHS. Click on the '+' sign to see related documents (all document boxes expand to show more information).
If you can't find the IHS for your commodity, email email@example.com
MPI has produced guidance documents to help you meet the requirements of import health standards. While you do not have to comply with the guidance, MPI considers the guidance best practice. Where available, these are listed with the related standard. Each document box expands to reveal extra information, including links to related documents like guidance. Choose the '+' sign to expand a box.
Most IHSs also refer to the Treatment Standard.
Download the Treatment Standard (MPI-ABTRT) [PDF, 1.4 MB]
The import health standards are listed alphabetically by commodity. Use the filter below to help your search.
Note, each document box expands to reveal extra information, including links to related documents like guidance. Choose the '+' sign (to the right of the document title) to expand a box.
keywords: 152-07-01i, Clearance, Airport, flight, quarantine, containers, air, freight
keywords: camaniic.gen, camelids, lamoids, ruminants
- Scoured New Zealand/Australian origin animal fibre from People's Republic of China - Import Health Standard [PDF, 22 KB]
- Specified animal products and biologicals from all countries - Import Health Standard [PDF, 225 KB]
- Cashmere, scoured and dehaired from China - Import Health Standard [PDF, 15 KB]
- Animal fibres from all countries - Import Health Standard Guidance Document [PDF, 330 KB]
- Animal Fibre from the European Union - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 68 KB]
keywords: anifibre.all, alpaca, apparel, artifacts, boas, brushtail, camel, camelid, cashmere, cultural items, decorations, doona, dream catchers, dreamcatchers, duvets, feathers, fibers, fibres, fishing flies, fur, goat, handicrafts, hair, hats, head dresses, kangaroo, lamb, lambswool, macropod, mats, mohair, pelts, pillows, quilts, rabbit, sheep, shuttle cocks, skins, sleeping bags, sleeping-bags, sliver, tops, wallaby, wool, woolpack, yak, fibunpic.all, fibsucic.all, fibscoic.all, fibcmwic.prc, fibtopic.ger, fibwooic.prc, fibfleic.all, hidmacic.aus, fibposic.aus, fibrabic.all, fibsraic.all, fibminic.uk, feacfoic.all, fibwpkic.all, fibnzoic.all, ineproic.all
- Animal products that have undergone third country processing - Import Health Standard Guidance Document [PDF, 645 KB]
- Fiji sample certificate for canned beef of Australia or New Zealand origin [PDF, 613 KB]
- Fresh, chilled and frozen salmonid products processed in Thailand - Health Certificate [PDF, 181 KB]
- Approved Source Country Salmonid Products Processed in the Philippines - Health Certificate [PDF, 561 KB]
- Canned New Zealand beef for human consumption processed in Thailand - Health Certificate [PDF, 75 KB]
- Honey and other apiculture products intended for human consumption from Canada - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 59 KB]
- Products for human consumption containing poultry meat of New Zealand origin - Zoosanitary certificate [PDF, 127 KB]
keywords: antaquic.all, aquatic animals, live, Pagothenia borchgrevinki,Trematomus bernacchii, hansoni, centronotus, nicolai, newnsi, Dissostichus mawsoni, Gymnodraco acuticeps, Chionodraco hamatus, Cryodraco antarcticus
keywords: avocado-au, avocados, avocadoes
keywords: avocado-to, avocados, avocadoes
keywords: ballastwater, vessel, boat, ship, marine
keywords: bamboo-rattan, wood products, withies, forestry, twig, tree
keywords: bark, chips, Cork, Pine, Eucalyptus, tree
keywords: meabdsic.aus, bovine, ovine, caprine, cervine
keywords: bioprodic.all, samples, animal products
- Bovine Embryos from Australia - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 358 KB]
- Bovine Embryos from the European Union - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 39 KB]
- Bovine Embryos from Canada - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 365 KB]
- Bovine Embryos from USA - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 121 KB]
- Bovine Embryos from Switzerland - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 83 KB]
- Bovine Semen and Embryos from Approved Countries - Import Health Standard Guidance Document [PDF, 1104 KB]
keywords: bovemid.gen, bull, germplasm, ruminants, buffalo, cow, in vivo
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback