Import health standards (IHS)
Import health standards (IHS) are documents issued under section 24A of the Biosecurity Act 1993. They state the requirements that must be met before risk goods can be imported into New Zealand.
Changes to some Standards – November 2018 Update
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) is doing a review of all fresh fruit and vegetable import health standards.
This includes Import Health Standard (IHS) 152.02: Importation and Clearance of Fresh Fruit and Vegetables for Human Consumption.
As part of the review, MPI is developing new format commodity standards. MPI is converting all fresh fruit and vegetable schedules in IHS 152.02 and individual country: commodity standards to the new format.
We were expecting the review to be completed by the end of October 2018, however the work has been delayed. We will provide more information as available and continue to provide monthly updates on the progress of the review.
When the new commodity standards are issued, MPI will revoke IHS 152.02.
Note: This is an administrative format change only. It will not affect any existing import measures or requirements.
IHS guidance documents
MPI has produced guidance documents to help you meet the requirements of import health standards. While you do not have to comply with the guidance, MPI considers the guidance best practice. Where available, these are listed with the related standard. Click on the '+' sign to see related documents.
Revoked import health standards
During the transition to a new import health standard (IHS), the standards being revoked will be listed as related documents of the new IHS. You can search for any IHS using its short code, but if it's an IHS about to be revoked it will appear as a related document under the new IHS. Click on the '+' sign to see related documents.
If you can't find the IHS for your commodity, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Avian influenza – 25 July 2018 – Various countries. Find out more
- Lumpy skin disease – 21 Aug 2015 - Greece (Evros, Xanthi, and Kavala). Find out more
- Myrtle rust – Feb 2015 – Australia (Tasmania). Find out more
keywords: 152-07-01i, Clearance, Airport, flight, quarantine, containers, air, freight
keywords: camaniic.gen, camelids, lamoids, ruminants
- Scoured New Zealand/Australian origin animal fibre from People's Republic of China - Import Health Standard [PDF, 22 KB]
- Specified animal products and biologicals from all countries - Import Health Standard [PDF, 225 KB]
- Cashmere, scoured and dehaired from China - Import Health Standard [PDF, 15 KB]
- Animal fibres from all countries - Import Health Standard Guidance Document [PDF, 330 KB]
- Animal Fibre from the European Union - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 68 KB]
keywords: anifibre.all, alpaca, apparel, artifacts, boas, brushtail, camel, camelid, cashmere, cultural items, decorations, doona, dream catchers, dreamcatchers, duvets, feathers, fibers, fibres, fishing flies, fur, goat, handicrafts, hair, hats, head dresses, kangaroo, lamb, lambswool, macropod, mats, mohair, pelts, pillows, quilts, rabbit, sheep, shuttle cocks, skins, sleeping bags, sleeping-bags, sliver, tops, wallaby, wool, woolpack, yak, fibunpic.all, fibsucic.all, fibscoic.all, fibcmwic.prc, fibtopic.ger, fibwooic.prc, fibfleic.all, hidmacic.aus, fibposic.aus, fibrabic.all, fibsraic.all, fibminic.uk, feacfoic.all, fibwpkic.all, fibnzoic.all, ineproic.all
- Animal products that have undergone third country processing - Import Health Standard Guidance Document [PDF, 645 KB]
- Fresh, chilled and frozen salmonid products processed in Thailand - Health Certificate [PDF, 181 KB]
- Approved Source Country Salmonid Products Processed in the Philippines - Health Certificate [PDF, 561 KB]
- Canned New Zealand beef for human consumption processed in Thailand - Health Certificate [PDF, 75 KB]
- Honey and other apiculture products intended for human consumption from Canada - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 59 KB]
- Products for human consumption containing poultry meat of New Zealand origin - Zoosanitary certificate [PDF, 127 KB]
keywords: antaquic.all, aquatic animals, live, Pagothenia borchgrevinki,Trematomus bernacchii, hansoni, centronotus, nicolai, newnsi, Dissostichus mawsoni, Gymnodraco acuticeps, Chionodraco hamatus, Cryodraco antarcticus
keywords: avocado-au, avocados, avocadoes
keywords: avocado-to, avocados, avocadoes
keywords: ballastwater, vessel, boat, ship, marine
keywords: bamboo-rattan, wood products, withies, forestry, twig, tree
keywords: bark, chips, Cork, Pine, Eucalyptus, tree
keywords: meabdsic.aus, bovine, ovine, caprine, cervine
keywords: bioprodic.all, samples, animal products
- Bovine Embryos from Australia - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 358 KB]
- Bovine Embryos from the European Union - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 39 KB]
- Bovine Embryos from Canada - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 365 KB]
- Bovine Embryos from USA - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 121 KB]
- Bovine Embryos from Switzerland - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 83 KB]
- Bovine Semen and Embryos from Approved Countries - Import Health Standard Guidance Document [PDF, 1104 KB]
keywords: bovemid.gen, bull, germplasm, ruminants, buffalo, cow, in vivo
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback