Import health standards (IHS)
Import health standards (IHS) are documents issued under section 24A of the Biosecurity Act 1993. They state the requirements that must be met before risk goods can be imported into New Zealand.
Changes to some Standards – November 2018 Update
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) is doing a review of all fresh fruit and vegetable import health standards.
This includes Import Health Standard (IHS) 152.02: Importation and Clearance of Fresh Fruit and Vegetables for Human Consumption.
As part of the review, MPI is developing new format commodity standards. MPI is converting all fresh fruit and vegetable schedules in IHS 152.02 and individual country: commodity standards to the new format.
We were expecting the review to be completed by the end of October 2018, however the work has been delayed. We will provide more information as available and continue to provide monthly updates on the progress of the review.
When the new commodity standards are issued, MPI will revoke IHS 152.02.
Note: This is an administrative format change only. It will not affect any existing import measures or requirements.
IHS guidance documents
MPI has produced guidance documents to help you meet the requirements of import health standards. While you do not have to comply with the guidance, MPI considers the guidance best practice. Where available, these are listed with the related standard. Click on the '+' sign to see related documents.
Revoked import health standards
During the transition to a new import health standard (IHS), the standards being revoked will be listed as related documents of the new IHS. You can search for any IHS using its short code, but if it's an IHS about to be revoked it will appear as a related document under the new IHS. Click on the '+' sign to see related documents.
If you can't find the IHS for your commodity, email email@example.com
- Avian influenza – 25 July 2018 – Various countries. Find out more
- Lumpy skin disease – 21 Aug 2015 - Greece (Evros, Xanthi, and Kavala). Find out more
- Myrtle rust – Feb 2015 – Australia (Tasmania). Find out more
keywords: pineapple-ec, pineapples
keywords: pineapple-fj, pineapples
keywords: pineapple-th, pineapples
keywords: pineapple-vu, pineapples
keywords: poles-piles-rounds-sleepers, Railway timbers, Lumber, Logs, wood, forestry, forest products, trees
keywords: meacasic.all, pork, pig
keywords: fodfeaic.aus, pet food, fodder, animal food, feather meal
- Poultry Hatching Eggs & Specific-Pathogen-Free Chicken Eggs – Guidance document [PDF, 758 KB]
- SPF chicken eggs for laboratory use from Australia - Import Health Standard [PDF, 171 KB]
- Turkey hatching eggs from Australia, Canada and Northern Island - Import Health Standard [PDF, 164 KB]
- Chicken hatching eggs from Australia - Import Health Standard [PDF, 265 KB]
- Chicken hatching eggs from Canada and the USA - Import Health Standard [PDF, 223 KB]
- Poultry Hatching Eggs & Specific-Pathogen-Free Chicken Eggs - Import Health Standard Guidance Document [PDF, 243 KB]
- Poultry Hatching Eggs & Specific-Pathogen-Free Chick Eggs - Risk Management Proposal [PDF, 353 KB]
- Chicken and turkey hatching eggs from Canada – Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 38 KB]
- Duck hatching eggs from Australia - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 565 KB]
- Chicken hatching eggs from the United Kingdom - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 165 KB]
- Turkey hatching eggs from the United Kingdom - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 171 KB]
- Chicken hatching eggs from the Netherlands - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 319 KB]
Updated 12 February 2018.
keywords: comegic.gen, poultry, avian, birds, hatching eggs, gallus gallus, specific pathogen free, spf
keywords: inespeic.all, vertebrate, invertebrate, tissue, animal tissue, whole animal specimens, faeces, slides, microscope slides, amber, resin, liquid formalin, specimen
keywords: fodppfic.eec, animal food, fodder, pet food, stock feed
keywords: fodpalic.eec, fodder, animal food, pet food, meat
keywords: bnz-pafp-imprt, meals oil seed stock bird petfood tapioca soybean wheat bran copra cottonseed maize corn pellet palm kernal flakes canola rape safflower sugar beet broll mill rice molasses sugar cane seaweed rice bran
keywords: airproic.all, meat, eggs, dairy, poultry, chicken, beef, lamb, pork, bacon, ham, sausage, milk, infant, formula, raw, colostrums
keywords: fodpppic.eec, pet food, fodder, animal food, fish meal, meat meal, bone meal, hoof meal, horn meal, blood meal, feather meal
keywords: fisfilic.spe, fillets, mince, frozen, fresh water, seafood
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback