Revised Import Health Standard for Vehicles, Machinery and Equipment
Have your say
MPI has reviewed the Import Health Standard for Vehicles, Machinery and Equipment (the IHS) and wants your feedback on the proposed changes. The IHS was last updated in August 2018.
This consultation runs from 3 April to 3 June 2019.
MPI is proposing changes aimed at improving management of brown marmorated stink bugs with imports of vehicles, machinery and equipment. The proposals include:
- increasing the list of actionable brown marmorated stink bug countries (Schedule 3 countries)
- mandating before-arrival treatment of vehicles, machinery and equipment that are imported by sea container to align with the current requirements for vehicles and machinery imported as break-bulk
- aligning with the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources in Australia around brown marmorated stink bug management where possible.
- refining current requirements relating to treatment and system management of vehicles, machinery and equipment from countries listed in Schedule 3 of the IHS.
Some requirement changes designed to address other aspects of biosecurity risk associated with the importation of vehicles, machinery and equipment, but not directly related to brown marmorated stink bug management, have also been proposed.
We've also changed the layout of the IHS.
Details of the proposed changes are in the consultation documents.
Making your submission
Email your feedback on the draft by 5pm on 3 June 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Make sure you include in your submission:
- the title of the consultation document in the subject line of your email
- your name and title, if applicable
- your organisation's name (if you're submitting on behalf of an organisation)
- your contact details (for example, phone number, address and email).
While we prefer email, you can post your submission to:
Facilities and Pathways Group
Plants and Pathways Directorate
Ministry for Primary Industries
PO Box 2526 Wellington 6140
All submissions received by the closing date will be considered before the amended IHS is issued. MPI may hold late submissions on file for consideration when the issued IHS is next revised or reviewed.
Steps to finalising the new IHS
After consultation on a draft import health standard, MPI publishes a provisional IHS.
If you made a submission during the consultation, you have 10 working days to notify the Director-General of MPI that you intend to request an independent review. Reviews are limited to whether or not specific scientific evidence was given sufficient consideration.
If no review is requested within 10 working days, then the IHS is confirmed and issued.
More details about reviews are in the Biosecurity Act 1993.
Submissions are public information
Note that any submission you make becomes public information. People can ask for copies of submissions under the Official Information Act 1982 (OIA). The OIA says we have to make submissions available unless we have a good reason for withholding it. That is explained in sections 6 and 9 of the OIA.
Tell us if you think there are grounds to withhold specific information in your submission. Reasons might include that it's commercially sensitive or it's personal information. However, any decision MPI makes to withhold information can be reviewed by the Ombudsman, who may tell us to release it.
MPI must consult with interested parties in accordance with section 23 of the Biosecurity Act 1993 (the Act) and MPI's consultation policy before issuing or amending (other than of minor or urgent nature) import health standards under sections 24A and 24B of the Act.
An IHS specifies import requirements that must be met either in the country of origin or of export, or during transit before biosecurity clearance can be given for the goods to enter New Zealand. MPI must ensure that these requirements are technically justified and provide an appropriate level of biosecurity protection.
We're making improvements to our feedback form and it's temporarily unavailable.
For urgent problems, call 0800 00 83 33 (NZ only)