A toolbox for tomorrow
Harnessing science and technology
Biosecurity 2025's second strategic direction aims to harness science and technology to transform the way we do biosecurity. The Direction Statement has 3 goals to achieve this.
The best science underpins biosecurity through effective coordination and processes that allow the full value of science to be realised.
Continuous improvement ensures we get the very best value from biosecurity tools and technologies.
Capitalising on innovation and technology, by proactively seeking out and adopting new tools, transforms the way we do things.
Outcomes – the end results
Each goal has outcomes that break down in more detail the end results we're looking for. The outcomes for this strategic direction are on page 15 of the Direction Statement.
Download the Biosecurity 2025 Direction Statement [PDF, 5.1 MB]
Targets for 2025 – to drive action
To make sure the goals for the Direction Statement are achieved, the following targets were set for 2025.
- At least $80 million of public and private investment in science for biosecurity, with at least 50% of investment focused on identified critical biosecurity areas.
- Halve the cost of managing a significant established pest. This will be achieved through innovative science and new tools and approaches to pest management.
The work plan sets out the working group's view of what success would look like if the goals and outcomes are met, and the actions needed to deliver them.
Our other strategic directions
- A biosecurity team of 4.7 million
- Smart, free-flowing information
- Effective leadership and governance
- Tomorrow's skills and assets