Affected farmers can claim compensation where MPI's exercise of legal powers (under the Biosecurity Act 1993) has caused them a verifiable loss.

Compensation claim form

If you're eligible for compensation, you'll need to complete a compensation form and submit proof of your loss. Check the information below for your loss type to ensure you fill out the form correctly.

Compensation assistance team

Help available for affected farmers – phone 0800 32 22 81

Beef + Lamb New Zealand and Dairy New Zealand have a compensation guide available. It was prepared in consultation with MPI. 

The DairyNZ and Beef + Lamb New Zealand Compensation Assistance Teams (DBCAT) are available to help you:

  • understand whether you are eligible for compensation
  • clarify what losses you can claim for
  • work through the compensation claim forms
  • through the compensation claim process.

This is a free service supported by the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) and run independently by DairyNZ and Beef + Lamb New Zealand. To be put in touch with a compensation assistant phone 0800 32 22 81. Or email:

For general information about compensation contact the MPI compensation coordinator: 

Your questions answered

Download the relevant information paper (FAQs) to find out what you can claim for, how you can claim, and what evidence we need.

Stock destruction

You can claim compensation immediately after your stock has been culled. You must claim within one year for the loss of stock from the date that verifies your loss – the date the stock were culled.

Stock replacement – higher market prices

You can claim compensation from the date the movement restriction powers were exercised by MPI, or within one year of this date that verifies the loss. 

Milk production

MPI has worked with industry partners and consultants to develop a revised tool to help calculate milk production losses. We have also put together an information pack with guidance material to help you when claiming compensation for your loss of milk production.

You can submit a claim for your milk loss going back to the date when MPI first exercised its legal powers on your dairy herd. From then, we'd prefer to receive subsequent claims every quarter, although you may submit monthly claims if you prefer. At the end of the season, there may be a wash-up payment once the farmgate final price has been announced. (Fonterra announced the final milk price for 2018 in September.)

Beef production loss

You can claim compensation from the date the loss was incurred, or within one year from the date that verifies your loss.

Bull servicing income loss

You can claim compensation for the loss of bull servicing income within one year from the date that verifies your loss – the date the bull servicing contract was cancelled.

Grazing income loss

You can claim compensation for the loss of grazing income from the date the loss was incurred, or within one year from the date that verifies your loss – the date the grazing contract was cancelled.

  • Grazing income loss FAQs (coming soon)

Movement restrictions

You can claim compensation for movement restriction losses from the date the loss was incurred, or within one year from the date that verifies your loss.

How compensation works

Compensation may be paid to people who have incurred a verifiable loss as a result of directions they are given by MPI under the Biosecurity Act to manage Mycoplasma bovis.

Farmers that are directed to have animals culled, or their farm operations restricted under movement controls, may be eligible for compensation.

Eligibility to claim compensation

If you can show that MPI’s exercise of powers has caused you loss, then you may be eligible to be paid compensation.

Yes - you can claim if all 4 of the following criteria are satisfied:

1. MPI has exercised powers to eradicate or manage an organism, and

2. The exercise of powers has caused a loss to you, because of either:

  • the damage or destruction of your property, or
  • restrictions being imposed on the movement or disposal of your goods, and

3. You have been unable to mitigate your loss by taking every step reasonable in the circumstances, and

4. The loss can be verified.

No - you cannot claim if:

1. The loss was suffered before the exercise of powers commenced, or

2. The loss was suffered more than a year before the claim was submitted, or

3. You failed to comply with biosecurity law in a serious or significant way, or in a way that contributed to the presence or the spread of the organism, or

4. Your goods are unauthorised or uncleared (that is, imported items which had not been cleared).

Once I submit my form, what happens next?

Once MPI has received your claim, we will check it for completeness, and may need to come back to you for further information. We cannot fully assess a claim until all the necessary information has been provided.

Once your claim has been allocated to an assessor at MPI, they will be your first point-of-contact if you have any enquiries, including the progress of your claim.

The time it then takes to assess and authorise your payment will depend on a number of different factors, such as the information you have provided with your claim, and the value of the claim. While we make all endeavours to pay you as soon as we can, please be aware that once we have made our assessment any decision will require the appropriate internal and external approvals to endorse and authorise your claim.

Find out more

For general information about claiming compensation contact the MPI compensation co-ordinator:

  • Phone: 04 894 0055
  • Email:
  • Fax: 04 894 0720
  • Post: Ministry for Primary Industries, PO Box 2526, Wellington 6140
  • Courier: Ministry for Primary Industries, Pastoral House, 25 The Terrace, Wellington.
Last reviewed:
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback