Reviews and reports about M. bovis
Reports into how Mycoplasma bovis could have entered New Zealand, the independent Technical Advisory Group's reports, and other reports and reviews.
Case management review and report
Two reviews were commissioned into the cause and impact of the backlog of animal movements to be processed through the Mycoplasma bovis Programme, and the resulting surge.
- Report of MPI's chief science adviser Dr John Roche (July 2019) [PDF, 1.6 MB]
- Review of case and data management (Dr Roger Paskin, OMNI Animal Health Consultancy – July 2019) [PDF, 932 KB]
- Table of review and report recommendations (July 2019) [PDF, 1.2 MB]
Technical Advisory Group (TAG)
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) convened a group of technical experts to review its response to Mycoplasma bovis. The report from the group includes a secondary addendum report produced after the group reconvened when the disease was found in Southland.
- TAG biographies (May 2018) [PDF, 437 KB]
- TAG addendum report (February 2018) [PDF, 98 KB]
- TAG report (December 2017) [PDF, 10 MB]
- TAG recommendations and MPI's response to them [PDF, 228 KB]
Additional TAG reports
The TAG has continued to provide MPI with independent advice on the feasibility of eradicating Mycoplasma bovis from New Zealand and other key areas affecting the response. The TAG is made up of New Zealand and international experts that sit outside MPI’s Mycoplasma bovis response. TAG advice is an important input into response decision-making. The views and recommendations expressed in the reports are fully independent and are not government policy.
- 24 January 2019 TAG Report [PDF, 487 KB]
- 17 May 2018 TAG Report [PDF, 7.2 MB]
- 27 April 2018 TAG Report [PDF, 477 KB]
Analysis of how the disease could have entered NZ
MPI carried out an analysis of 7 potential ways Mycoplasma bovis could have entered New Zealand. The pathways report reached no conclusion about how the disease arrived here. MPI continues to investigate the means of entry.
- Pathways report [PDF, 3.1 MB]
We have always said with this disease outbreak that it is unlikely we will be able to determine the exact pathway. We remain of that view – however, the report provides insight into pathway risk to support future management decisions.
Timeline – Mycoplasma bovis in New Zealand [PDF, 88 KB]
Clinical impact research
As part of the Mycoplasma bovis Programme, in May 2018 MPI commissioned research into the clinical impact of the disease in New Zealand. A summary of the research, which was conducted by independent veterinarian Carolyn Hamill, was presented to a New Zealand Veterinarian Association conference in May.
- Clinical impact research [PDF, 651 KB]
Redaction of information
Redactions have been made to the TAG and pathways reports consistent with provisions of the Official Information Act 1982 (OIA). Where required, the Ministry for Primary Industries has considered the public interest when making decisions on the information being withheld.
We're making improvements to our feedback form and it's temporarily unavailable.
For urgent problems, call 0800 00 83 33 (NZ only)