- Code of Welfare for Llamas and Alpacas - 26 April 2013
A code of welfare is now in place for the estimated 15,000 South American camelids (Ilama, alpaca, guanaco and cross breeds of these) that are owned and cared for by New Zealanders.
- NAWAC to seek further advice on the feasibility of the intermediate transition steps for the removal of battery cages - 26 March 2013
The National Animal Welfare Advisory Committee (NAWAC) today announced that it has commissioned an independent assessment of the practicality and feasibility of its transition dates for phasing out battery cages for layer hens. NAWAC commissioned the assessment in light of concerns raised by the egg producers industry about the ability of famers to meet the intermediate transition steps that lead up to the final date to cease battery farming.
- Ministry seeks mystery ant sender - 7 February 2013
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) is seeking public help to find a person who sent an ant sample to an insect scientist at Landcare Research in Auckland, but provided no contact details or information about where the ant was found.
- Code of welfare for equines out for consultation - 25 January 2013
The National Animal Welfare Advisory Committee (NAWAC) has asked for public feedback on a draft code of welfare for equines today.
- New NAIT regulations to come into effect - 21 December 2012
New regulations to support compliance with the National Animal Identification and Tracing (NAIT) scheme and protect the privacy of NAIT stakeholders will come into effect on 10 January 2013.
- Ministry for Primary Industries investigation into clinical cases of anaemia in cattle in Northland - 7 December 2012
Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) has received reports of anaemia in cattle in the Northland region, with the presence of Theileria orientalis in some of these sick animals. Although Theileria orientalis may cause anaemia it is not necessarily the cause of this condition because the parasite is often also found incidentally in healthy animals.
Entering New Zealand
- Passenger biosecurity keeping out high-risk goods - 30 July 2012
- Australia Signs up to Sea Container Hygiene System - 28 October 2010
Going to Other Countries
There is no news for this section